8.20.2007




I just moved into a new place last month and it's ALL tile. Tile isn't necessarily bad, but I do like having a little cushion for my feet! While looking for an affordable, attractive area rug, I kept coming up with items that were way out of budget or butt-ugly. So, I sat down and thought about what I could do. I didn't want wool, cause my dog finds wool delicious. I did want something modern looking, simple, and easy to clean...What was I to do?!

I came up with this little idea after seeing something that inspired me on HGTV. You can put so many spins on this!

* if you want a specific color, you can get white rugs and dye them cheaply with rit dye.
* You can experiment with different shaped rugs - circles sewn together would be so 60's.
* You can use multiple colored rugs for a louder look...

The possibilities are endless!






Step One

First, I bought two rugs at Ikea that were actually in the bathroom section. They're $9.99 each, nubby texture, and they have a sticky bottom, so they won't slip on tile! Perfect! These come in several colors, too!








Step Two

I took some random embroidery thread (I used white, it doesn't show through) and threaded it through a needle. Then, I simply whipstitched the rugs together. You could make an area rug or a runner out of these types of rugs. Make sure to knot your knots tightly!










TA-DA!!!!! Flip it over, shake it out, even iron the seam if you'd like. Once you shake it out and wear it in a bit more, the seam won't be as noticeable. You've got an area rug for $20!

No comments: